Monday, April 07, 2008

Then there were two...

"There's no place like Kansas."

It all comes down to tonight...I think I might have said that in my last post, but it's really true today. Saturday was awesome...and then it was terrifying...and then it was awesome again. I hope that tonight is just awesome...at least at the end! This is extremely cheesy and you can make fun of me all you want, but I've waited my entire life for a Kansas National Championship. I hope that ends tonight...not for my sake, but because Kansas basketball is the best.

I don't remember the 88 Championship. I was too young to pay attention to what was going on. I remember my parents watching...I remember later raiding my dad's closet for that National Champions t-shirt that he bought. I remember stealing it and wearing it to bed (because I was only six and it was too big to wear anywhere else). I remember the heartbreak of 91...at least I was heartbroken...because that was when I started to care. I'm pretty sure I can tell you who we lost to each year after that...because even though I'm "just" a fan...it matters. The sun doesn't rise and set by the Kansas Jayhawks. My world is not complete when they win. I'm not going to die if they lose. The sun will rise tomorrow morning regardless of what happens tonight. But it would sure be nice if we win!

If you're not a fan or even if you are a fan but are new to the whole thing, you really don't understand. Give it a few years...and you might. Regardless of what happens tonight, this year has been amazing! It's been so much fun watching my good friend come to love my team. It's been a blast introducing all the traditions that make Kansas basketball so special to the people in my world. It's been fun sharing this ride with new and old friends alike...as well as with family. I've said for a long time that one of my favorite subjects in all of the world is Kansas basketball. That's not going to change, no matter what happens tonight. It'll just be a little bit sweeter...hopefully.



Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

KJo

No comments: