Friday, July 07, 2006

Almost...

quote of the day: " i am not running anything..."

Well...I'm down to about 12 client hours to go. Still a ton of paperwork to do and no motivation to get it done. Not good. As excited as I am about being finished with my internship, I'm really not so excited about leaving my clients. Today I met with one who has been hard to work with at times. I can't really discuss it and certainly won't go into details, but it's not going to be easy to "leave" the kid. The new intern was supposed to be meeting with us today; she's supposed to have been meeting with us for the last month but has only seen the kid once. My supervisors were both out of town so it was just going to be the two of us and the clients. Not a big deal. I've dealt with many on my own before. Yeah so she was late and I called her and she said that our supervisor had told her that they weren't coming today. I can't imagine how that could be true b/c the said supervisor and I had talked about the session for today just yesterday. She (the new intern) was then going to meet me for our next appointment. Right...didn't show for either. I was trying to process through the sessions on my way home and found myself extremely irritated. Granted, the first session wasn't a piece of cake but I've had harder sessions that didn't seem to affect me nearly as much. I think it just hit me that I'm almost finished seeing these clients....people that I now have a vested interest in. I've put a lot of time and effort into these people and the person I'm handing them off to doesn't seem to care. Thankfully my supervisors will still be there and they have a relationship with my clients.

There have been many days that I've felt that I missed the boat on this counseling thing. There is so much emphasis on our "calling" as Christians. I've been thinking about that a lot. At one point I may have argued with this statement until I was blue in the face...or just ignored it as blasphemy. I don't necessarily feel like God "called" me to be a counselor. He certainly hasn't let me quit, but I can't say at this point that I feel like it is the "calling" of my life. Now there are those who will say that that just means that I haven't truely found God

No comments: